NHS commissioners from Southport, Formby and West Lancashire are asking for the views of patients, carers, staff and members of the public about breast care services. This follows the closure of Southport & Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust’s service to new patients from September 2014.
From mid January to mid February, the two organisations – NHS Southport and Formby Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and West Lancashire CCG – will be attending a series of events for members of the public and running a survey to invite views on the changes at Southport and Ormskirk hospitals, people’s experience of local breast services and their suggestions for the future.
Dr Rob Caudwell, chair of NHS Southport and Formby CCG and local GP, said:
“Since the closure of Southport & Ormskirk’s service to new patients due to difficulties recruiting a radiologist, the CCGs’ priority has been to work with the hospital and other local trusts to ensure continued high quality and timely breast care for all new and existing patients. Patients requiring follow up appointments have continued to be seen at Southport & Ormskirk, whilst arrangements were quickly put in place so that new patients could be seen at other hospitals of their choice.
“Patients in Southport, Formby and West Lancashire can still choose where they access treatment and care, with many opting to travel to alternative nearby trusts such as Aintree and Wigan. We’re welcoming views from everyone about all local breast care services not just those delivered in Southport and Ormskirk”.
The CCGs are now inviting people’s comments and suggestions about all breast care services to allow them to fully understand what patients’ views are on the services they are receiving and make sure the options available to patients in the future are the best they can be. Although it is not possible to reintroduce all elements of the breast care service to Southport & Ormskirk Hospital NHS Trust, views sought during these discussions will help the two CCGs to address which parts of the service may be provided more locally again in the future.
Dr Jack Kinsey, local GP and board member of NHS West Lancashire CCG said:
“It’s vital that we not only take these next few weeks as the opportunity to listen to the views and experiences of our local communities, but also as our chance to ensure those concerned understand what actions we have taken since to ensure their continued high quality care. To support this involvement process, we have produced a leaflet explaining everything and are holding a few events across Southport, Formby and West Lancashire. There is also a survey in place to allow us to listen to as many people as we can. If you have a specific request or would like us to come and talk to you, we would like you to get in touch.”
To read about local breast services, you can download a leaflet which has been produced by NHS Southport and Formby CCG and NHS West Lancashire CCG. You can share your views by completing a survey which is available on both websites.
If you do not use the internet but would like to know more, please contact the patient experience team via 0800 218 2333 or cmcsu.PALS@nhs.net
The following events are open to members of the public to attend:
- Maghull: Tuesday 27 January, Older People’s Forum, 1:30pm – 3:30pm, St Andrew’s Church Hall, Danefield Lane, Maghull, L31 3DD
- Southport: Wednesday 28 January, 1:30pm – 3:30pm, Lord Street West Church, Southport, PR8 2BH
- Southport: Thursday 29 January, In Stitch (cancer support group) 10.00am – 12noon, Macmillan Cancer Support Centre, 23-25 Scarisbrick Avenue, Southport, PR8 1NW
- Burscough: Friday 30 January, Firm Roots (cancer support group) 1:30pm – 3.00pm, St John’s Church Hall, School Lane, Burscough
- Formby: Monday 9 February, Sefton Cancer Support Group, 10:30am – 12:30pm, 1 Duke Street, Formby, L37 4AL
- Southport: Thursday 12 February, Lift Up Breast Cancer Support Group, 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Lakeside Christian Centre, Fairway, Southport, PR9 0LA
- Ormskirk: Thursday 5 February, 7pm – 9pm Ormskirk support meeting, Main Outpatient department, Ormskirk Hospital, Wigan Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 2AZ
- Formby: Tuesday 17 February, Older People’s Forum, 1:30pm – -3:30pm, Formby Methodist Church, Elbow Lane, L37 4AF
- Skelmersdale: Friday 20 February, Skelmersdale Library, 10am – 12noon, Southway, WN8 6NL
More meetings will be added, however places will need to be booked by calling the patient experience team on 0800 218 2333